Slow Cooker Beef Goulash
|Prep. time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 kg S Collins & Son diced stew
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 700 g (1½lb) onions, chopped
- 225 g (8oz) pancetta cubes or bacon lardons
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400 g can peeled plum tomatoes
- 150 ml (¼ pint) hot beef stock
- 150 ml (¼ pint) soured cream
- Small handful freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Put the flour into a plastic bag, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then toss the cubes of beef in the flour to coat and shake off any excess.
- Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a large pan and quickly fry the meat in small batches until browned on all sides. Transfer to the beef to a slow cooker (don't turn the cooker on at this point).
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 5min until starting to soften and turn golden. Add the pancetta or lardons and fry over a high heat until crispy. Stir in the garlic and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1min.
- Add the herbs, tomatoes and hot stock and bring to the boil. Stir into the beef in the slow cooker, then cover and cook on Low for 8hr or until tender.
- Check the seasoning, then stir in the soured cream. Garnish with parsley and serve with pasta.
Original Recipe: Good Housekeeping